If you are thinking about correcting your vision with LASIK eye surgery, perhaps the most important decision you will make is your choice of surgeon. The experience, skill and bedside manner of your surgeon directly influence the success of your procedure.
Here, the team at Laser Eye Center of Miami shares some helpful tips to guide you as you look for a LASIK surgeon in Miami, Florida.
Get Referrals from Former LASIK Patients
Ask friends and family members that have had good experiences with LASIK for the names of their surgeons. You can also ask your primary care physician to refer you to a respected LASIK surgeon.
Do Your Research
Once you have some names, spend time on the surgeons’ websites to learn more about their background and credentials. Double-check that they are board-certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology, which indicates that they have received the proper education and training, and passed rigorous testing of their knowledge. Look for patient testimonials on the surgeons’ websites and on third-party sites like Yelp, RealSelf and Google My Business.
What to Look For In a Surgeon
When selecting a surgeon to perform your LASIK surgery, it’s important that he or she have a number of qualities, including the following:
- Experience. Ideally, your LASIK surgeon should have performed at least several thousand successful procedures, but preferably tens of thousands of procedures. This type of experience signifies that they have acquired the techniques and knowledge necessary for safe, effective treatment.
- Technology. Leading edge technology improves the safety, predictability and precision of LASIK surgery. Don’t settle for someone that offers outdated technology.
- Trustworthiness. Truthfully, LASIK is not right for everyone, and the best surgeons are not hesitant to screen out people that are not good candidates. A surgeon with a reputation for performing LASIK on everyone is not meeting industry standards and should be avoided.
- Low Pressure. Sought-after LASIK surgeons never pressure patients into treatment. If you meet with a surgeon that puts the pressure on you to have LASIK, you should find someone else.
- Honesty. Great LASIK surgeons are honest and upfront about the possible risks and limitations of LASIK. Beware of the surgeon that overpromises and guarantees you perfection.
- That “Gut Feeling.” When you find the right person for the job, you will feel it in your gut. Your LASIK surgeon will make you feel completely comfortable, and they will never rush you or ignore your concerns. They will want to answer your questions and educate you about your options so you can decide what’s best for your needs.
Book a Consult with Our LASIK Surgeons
If you would like to meet the qualified, experienced LASIK surgeons at Laser Eye Center of Miami, please call or email us today.